Ride-sharing services such as Lyft and Uber are becoming more common in cities across the United States. Taxi cabs are becoming a less popular option because ride-sharing apps are more convenient than calling a cab company. Lyft and Uber are usually faster to arrive too.
However, Lyft and Uber aren’t governed by the same laws that most commercial vehicles are subject to. This means that those who were involved in an Uber or Lyft auto or car accident may have difficulty obtaining full compensation for their injuries. Jorgensen Law has experience helping Lyft and Uber accident victims recover the money they deserve.
Lyft or Uber Accident Liability
Lyft and Uber drivers are independent contractors rather than employees, so an accident can be complicated for passengers or other drivers involved in a crash with one of these ride-sharing companies. The driver’s insurance should cover your damages if the accident was their fault. Lyft and Uber provide a $1 million liability insurance policy for those instances. They also carry $1 million insurance for un- or under-insured motorists who cause the accident.
While insurance is helpful, these policies are only valid if the driver has their app on and has accepted the ride. If the driver is offline, you’re subject to their own personal car insurance policy, which may have lower limits than a commercial policy.
What to Do After a Rideshare Accident
If you were involved in an Uber or Lyft auto or car accident, you should practice the following tips:
- Take notes – write down the license plate number, the car’s make and model, and the name of your driver
- Recognize evidence – Save any emails, text messages, and receipts that pertain to your ride
- Talk to witnesses – take down their contact information for future use
- Get medical attention – even if you feel fine, you should get checked out by a medical professional. Some serious injuries don’t appear until after the adrenaline has stopped pumping
- Call a lawyer – Contact the Jorgensen Law for a skilled legal team who can help you obtain the money you need to cover your medical care and lost wages
Contacting a lawyer is imperative because management at Lyft or Uber may try to tell you that the driver was “off duty” in order to avoid paying you a proper settlement for your injuries. By hiring a personal injury lawyer at the Jorgensen Law, you’ll have someone to handle the insurance companies for you and make sure they take responsibility for their driver’s negligence so you can receive fair compensation.
We Help Lyft and Uber Accident Victims
Our firm’s number one priority is to protect your rights and get you the money you need in order to heal. If you’ve been injured in a ride-sharing accident, call us today at 1-888-855-2948 to discuss your case with a qualified attorney. You can also contact us online. Your initial consultation is always free and we don’t collect a cent unless you win or settle your case.