Jorgensen Law

Why should I hire a disability attorney?

Social Security Lawyers have knowledge of the rules that regulate Social Security Disability and SSI.

Dennis, from El Cajon, California, asks “Why should I hire a disability attorney?”

Anyone can apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) without the need of an attorney. However, there is a 70% chance that your application for disability benefits will be denied (only about 30% of initial applications are approved). If your application is denied, you have 60 days to appeal the denial, and if your appeal is denied then the next step is to request a hearing before an administrative law judge.


Social Security Lawyers have knowledge of the rules that regulate Social Security Disability and SSI.

Many valid claims are denied because the evidence is presented in an unorganized manner without consideration to the methodology that Social Security uses to understand and approve claims.

Many people apply for Social Security Disability without legal representation, and as soon as their application is denied, then they look to hire an attorney. There is nothing wrong with that, however, you should get your attorney involved in your case as soon as you can.

Don’t wait until the day before your 60 day appeal window lapses to hire an attorney.

Your attorney will need to review your situation and prepare your case in a clear manner that will be convincing to the Social Security Administration.

The fact is that your chances of being awarded disability benefits are much higher when you have professional legal representation.