There are two ways to submit an application for disability benefits.
Anyone can use the online application as long as you meet the following requirements:
• You are not receiving any benefits on your personal Social Security record
• You have worked and paid Social Security taxes long enough to qualify for benefits
• You have a medical condition which has prevented you or will prevent you from working for 12 months or that will end in death.
To apply online, go to the Social Security Administration’s website (www.ssa.gov) and select the link labeled “Apply Online for Disability Benefits” which is in the left-hand column. You will be directed to a page that will help you get the application process started.
You will see the four steps to apply online which are:
1. Review the Adult Disability Checklist
2. Complete the Disability Benefit Application
3. Complete the Adult Disability Report
4. Complete the Authorization to Disclose Information form (SSA-827). This can be done electronically as part of your Adult Disability Report or print and mail the form to your Social Security Office.
If you have already applied for disability and have been denied, you may want to talk to a disability attorney. Most likely your case will need to be resolved at a disability hearing. At Jorgensen Law, we represent clients every day at disability hearings. Contact us for a free evaluation of your case. Our main office is in San Diego, California; However, we represent claimants all over Southern California and Arizona.