Notify Social Security if you have a Change of Address

June 13th, 2010

When applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you will need to provide your address and phone number. If you change addresses after your application has been submitted, you must notify the Social Security Administration Immediately.

On your application for disability, you are asked to list the names and contact information of other “3rd party” individuals who are familiar with your disabling conditions. If one of the contacts you listed moves, you need to update their contact information on your claim.

One reason it is important to update your new address on your application is simply because the Social Security Administration (SSA) or Disability Determination Services (DDS) might need to get a hold of you. The SSA sends your claim to the DDS. The DDS will assign your case to an examiner who will request your medical records and in some cases might need to contact you. If the examiner is unable to contact you because of an outdated address and/or phone number, there is a good chance that your case will be denied.

Another reason why you want to make sure that Social Security has your correct address is because the decision on your disability claim will be mailed to you. If your application was approved, then having the wrong address could delay your first disability payments. If your application was denied, then you want to make sure you are notified as soon as possible, because after being denied, you only have 60 days to file an appeal. If Social Security has your wrong address, you might not get your denial letter in a timely manner, and if you miss the 60 day window to appeal, then you will need to re-file a new application and start the process all over again.

When you file a disability claim, be sure to notify the Social Security Administration of any changes in your address or phone numbers.

If you have been denied disability, click here to schedule a free consultation with an experienced disability lawyer in the Southern California area (San Diego, Los Angeles, Riverside, etc…).

Comments are closed.